Ever heard of a Middle College program at West Valley College? Probably not, most of the counselors don’t mention the program as a viable option to the traditional high school experience but it is definitely worth hearing about. Maybe you saw it in the local paper.
The West Valley Middle College program is an awesome alternative program for high school juniors and seniors. Here’s how it works:
- You need to be a student from the Los Gatos-Saratoga High School District or the Campbell Union High School District.
- Students attend a 3-hour high school program twice a week (great flexibility) on the West Valley campus to satisfy high school graduation requirements.
- Students can take six or more units of college classes
- Here’s the big advantage, WVC credits count for both high school credit and college credit, double dipping so to speak.
- A big plus for you parents…tuition for West Valley is free!
As a student, if you hate “busy work,” are sick of high school drama or just want to get ahead, you should consider West Valley Middle College:
- Students can accumulate college credit, which looks great on their transcript as a freshman.
- While in high school, students can accumulate enough college credit to transfer to California private colleges, UC’s and CSU’s as juniors cutting tuition costs in half.
- West Valley has guaranteed transfer agreements to most California public and private colleges (Guarantee, meaning if they take the agreed classes with a minimum GPA they are guaranteed to get it.).
- Never take or worry about SAT scores, they are not a consideration for most transfer students.
- Students also have the opportunity to walk with their graduating class at their home high school.
- Once again folks, it’s free!!
Middle College isn’t for everyone but it is definitely worth taking a look at. Ask your high school counselor about the program or contact Claire Linstrom for Los Gatos-Saratoga at 354-2520 ext 235 or check out their website or contact Christine Carlisle for Campbell at 241-0330